The Stress of the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Recently, I have been more conscious in my mood as I filter good and bad news.  For years I have told people that the reality of your situation is neither as good or as bad as it seems.  As normal people we tend to get really excited over good news and down in the dumps when the bad comes. The truth of the matter is, regardless of the news, we can make a conscious effort on how we let it affect us and our mood for that moment and the days after.

Personally, 2022 has been filled with ups and down and probably more turbulent than past years simply based on my role and responsibilities as the owner of a few small businesses.  Those gut wrenching bad news moments about jobs that came off the schedule, cancelations or even employee issues can easily creep into your mind and alter your plans and mood going forward.  They affect relationships, business decisions, sleep and every other aspect of your life.  Here's the thing though, it does not have to be that way. We grow up learning to show our emotion and share how we feel, but can we do that in more productive way that allows us to work through the cycle of acceptance at a faster pace?  Do you really need to hold on to anger for some set amount of time?  Or can you identify it quickly and move on?

The holidays are filled with expectations and anticipation.  These ideas are simply no more than our take on how things should be.  Your ideal Christmas in your head with family will more times than not -- not resemble anything in reality.  This goes for gifts, people being on time, family discussions, the planning, food, etc.  Like all plans something will likely go wrong and most of us know this.  If we already know it, why should our mood change so drastically?

As you get dealt some less than ideal news during the coming weeks and months, step back for a second and frame it differently by analyzing the situation this way:

1. I do not like this, but it is out of my control.

2. Of all the good things in my life, why should this really derail my mood and behavior?  I just do not have time to waste feeling bad.

3. It can always be worse, I am fortunate that this is all I have to deal with.

4. Wherever there is subpar consequence, there is an opportunity to do something greater.

5.  Without the negative, I would not have a gauge for the positive and realize how great things are.

I hope the holiday season is great for all of you and no mater what is thrown your way, you deal with it in a way that does not cause you the added stress you do not need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here we are, 2023.